Friday, March 4, 2011

What is Uterus tuberculosis? and what are the precautions one sould take


What is Uterus tuberculosis? and what are the precautions one sould take?

Women's Health - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Tuberculosis is a disease caused by Bacillus Tuberculosis (or Bacillus of Coch), so it is actually an infection. It has killed millions in the past and today continuous to pose major problems in developing countries as well amongst immunosuppressed patients (such as HIV, cancer or receiving chemotherapy patients). It's most frequent loci of infection is the lungs but it can litteraly infect any part of the body. There is a series of antibiotics we use to fight back, problem is that the specific germ (others too) can put itself to a lithargic state and wait there innactive for many years (30-40) and wait for the opportunity (immunosupression) to rise and cause disease. Getting it is not all that easy- you need to come to close encounters with the person having it, and the only proven way of infection is by sputum and aerolized micro-drops comming from a patients with open bullae in their lungs. I as a medical student have been many times in rooms of patients with open bullae who were caughing up germs, but never turned positive on examination for the bacillus, meaning I haven't got it after all. Even if I did though, I wouldn't worry too much since for it to cause infection and disease I'd have to turn immunosupressed (which hopefully I won't, lol). Now, as far as uterus tuberculosis, I have never seen, herd or read anything about it. It wouldn't surprise me to see it happening, but I am not so sure that the environment of the uterus would allow it to grow (though the specific germ is acid-tollerant). In any case, finding tuberculosis in other places than the lungs most certainly means that the patient's immune system is compromised and that the disease has spread beyond control. This would be a very serious situation that would need immediate and in hospital attention. Now, if you had sex with a woman with uterus tuberculosis, would you get it? I am afraid I cannot give a certain answer; you probably wouldn't get it from there, but since she'd have that far progress of disease, she's very likelly to have open bullae in her lungs, so her mouth, even the air she breaths out is filled with the germ, so you might get it from there. In any case, even if you did get it, for you to get sick you'd have to become immunosupressed. If you tested positive for the germ (after a few weeks) your doctor may perscribe you with some antibiotics for precaution (therapy lasts several months though). But now I've gonne too far. If you did have such a close encounter with a known carrier of the disease, please refer immediatelly to your doctor for testing and advice. In any case... I hope I've been of attention. PS: For all of you docs around there, I know there's much more to it and I know uterus tuberculosis sounds very wierd, but still, I'm only saying what a non-MD could use



 Read more discussions :