Sunday, February 1, 2009

Alcohol consumption while on tuberculosis treatment


Alcohol consumption while on tuberculosis treatment?
Hello, I am in the 4th month of tuberculosis treatment. It isn't pulmonary tuberculosis, it has affected my bones. Pyrazinamide has been stopped last month but I'm still on rifampicin, isoniazid & ethambutol. Is it reasonably safe (I know that it isn't recommended) to have a couple of drinks once in a week? I am 16 years old, male, & my body weight is 49KG (aproximately 108 lbs)
Infectious Diseases - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
1. you are 16, and last time I checked, the legal drinking age is 21. 2. Some of the drugs used to treat TB (including the ones you're on) can be hepatotoxic (meaning they are poisonous to the liver), and consuming alcohol would be an additive effect. so no, you shouldn't drink until your 9 or 12 or however many months of treatment you have are over!
2 :
Hope this helps. It's about all I found. This is about daily alcohol consumption though. So I think to be on the safe side I'd recommend you lay off any type of alcohol while you are being treated with these medications. Read the following. http://www.critpath.org/aric/gloss/body/isoniazid.htm



Read more discussions :