Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I had a tuberculosis shot today and now my arm is red with a little swelling


I had a tuberculosis shot today and now my arm is red with a little swelling?
I had the test, not a shot!
Other - Diseases - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
it means you were tense when the shot was given. It will go down. Just wait a few days.
2 :
Ohh, boy. I hope it isn't a scar..my mom has a HUGE scar on her shoulder (it's 3D) from a shot she got when she was a girl..
3 :
I'm not claiming to be a doc, but watch the swelling and if you find you are working hard to breathe, HOSPITAL!!!!!
4 :
ok, I think you mean you had a tuberculosis TEST, not a shot, It is a small needle and a small amount of liquid is injected intradermally (under the skin) it makes a small bubble. This bubble goes down and the skin will turn a little red, that's normal. You must wait 48-72 hrs to have the test read, you return to where you got it. Induration and swelling is a positive result (that you have been exposed to TB), a little redness is ok as long as the skin is not raised up like a welt or pimple, it's ok. When they read your test, the nurse will run her finger over your skin to make sure it's not raised at all. If it is, they will measure it, a positive result is either >5mm or >10mm of induration depending on risk factors and the physician, hospital or clinic's protocols. However, you have to wait the full 48 hrs to read the test, my arm will get a little swelling at first too but it goes away after the first day and by the time the test is read the result is negative (no exposure to TB)
5 :
A TB test or a TB vaccination? If it was the test, BabyRN has a good answer for you.
6 :
That is normal.. Did they tell you to go back after a few days to have them look at the site of the test? Or give you a paper to show you what it should look like and what to look for



 Read more discussions :