Sunday, December 4, 2011

question on donating cord blood and tuberculosis


question on donating cord blood and tuberculosis.?
i have TB and i was told by all my doctors i cannot donate my blood. when i do have a baby i cannot afford to save the cord blood but i'd love to donate, but can i? would they dispose of it or use it for research or what? i HAD TB, i got treatment for it and it isn't active.
Pregnancy - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
If they told you that you can't donate it then you can't donate it. If it is really that important to you you can contact other doctors and hospitals and see if they have a policy on that. It doesn't really matter if it is active or not, they won't take the cord blood just like they won't let you donate blood at a blood drive. Doesn't look like you will be able to. It will just be disposed of along with your afterbirth.
2 :
I tested positive and was treated for TB about 9 years ago. I had my son almost four years ago and was able to donate my cord blood. I found this on a website: Tuberculosis Donation is: Acceptable if you have a positive skin test for tuberculosis, or if you are receiving antibiotics for a positive TB skin test only. If you are being treated for a tuberculosis infection, wait until treatment is successfully completed before donating. It was at this website: http://www.savannahredcross.org/blood_eligibility.asp#tuber . If you still are unsure, just ask your doctor, or the hospital you plan on giving birth at. I hope I helped. Good luck



 Read more discussions :